Spot the pattern: Ryan Reynolds pitches Aviation, his very own brand of gin. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson shills for Teremana, his brand of tequila. Gwyneth Paltrow grosses out the world—and makes bank—with her beauty and health brand, Goop. They’re all rich, beautiful, and talented actors …
… and yet all of them are running side hustles.
And they’re not alone. A massive 44% of Americans say they have at least one side hustle. For many, it’s sadly a necessity in an era of high inflation and stagnant wages.
But that’s not the full story—for others, like the celebrities up top, it’s a lifestyle choice. It’s a way of grasping for freedom—whether it’s freedom from financial worry, from overbearing bosses, from relying on one source of income, or from being subject to unbalanced contracts and red tape.
Starting a side hustle is about building something, even if it’s small, that’s yours. If it grows big and you become a full-blown entrepreneur, great. If not, or you’re just working short-term gigs to boost your finances, that’s also something to be proud of. You’ve started working for yourself—which is more than a lot of people can say.
Who We Are
SideHustles.com is a project started by Mark Slack, Ed Huang, and Lawrence Ng under the wing of Onramp Lab. Its mission: to catalog, dissect, and disseminate the dizzying array of money-making methods available in this era of rapidly changing technology.
- Mark Slack is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) with extensive experience in the career industry. He’s educated millions of readers about how to find employment and develop alternative sources of income, including from side hustles.
- Ed Huang has over a decade of experience designing and implementing employment resources to help people boost their careers and their incomes.
- Lawrence Ng is a digital entrepreneur who founded his first website in 2000. In his youth, he worked over a dozen odd jobs, and one of his goals is to help people in similar circumstances today. Read an interview with Lawrence Ng to learn more about his personal history with side hustles.
What We’re Building
SideHustles.com aims to become the central hub for people from all walks of life to learn about how to create new sources of income with their skills and their grit. From the humblest gigs to the grandest entrepreneurial plans, our content about each hustle will be validated and enhanced by real people who are actually doing the work and making money from it.
No pie-in-the-sky ideas concocted by artificial intelligence—just realistic advice about what it really takes to get started and earn some cash.
About Our Expert Contributors
Every side hustle we cover has unique challenges, from starting up to making your first paycheck. That’s why we hire experienced professionals to write, review, or add commentary to our articles.
We believe a working expert’s advice is invaluable for someone like you who is interested in trying a new profession and has the energy to take action.
Each expert has a profile that you can inspect to learn who they are and why you can trust their advice. When hiring experts, we take the following factors into account:
- How long they’ve been doing the job or side hustle
- How successful they are
- How well they can communicate their expertise to new learners
We do all of this because it’s extremely important to us that the information you read is both helpful and realistic, unlike a lot of content you may read elsewhere on the web.
If you’re running a side hustle, we want to hear from you, and may even compensate you for your advice. Please email email@example.com and let us know what you’re up to. If you’re secretly just looking to get some publicity for a business you’re starting, hey, we recognize that as part of the hustle 😄.
Hit us up!